Did you know that children who read over the summer do better in school?
Ways to help your child succeed at reading:
- Get your child a library card at your local public library. It’s free!
- Sign your child up for the library’s free summer reading club.
- Encourage your child to read every day. When children read during the summer, they do better in school in the fall.
- Ask questions about the books your children are reading. Describing books in their own words helps them understand the stories better.
- Let your children choose books that they like. When children enjoy reading, they read more and their skills improve.
- Read to your child or listen to audio books together. Talking about the stories you share will help your child learn new words and ideas.
- Show you enjoy reading too. Read on your own in the language of your choice.
Download this as a handout in English and other languages below.